Story_Of_Devon_House_pg3
 

Page 3

It was in 1960 that Architect Tom Concannon, who led the restoration of Devon House expressed his suspicions that the history of Devon House does not begin with the construction of the Mansion in 1881. According to Concannon,

“ It is likely that the coach house (west) and the silver vaults near the coach house date from an earlier house…a rooom now connected to the main house, used in recent years as a swimming pool…suggest that the unit was not planned with the Stiebel construction in 1881.”

Nearly thirty years after making this intriguing assertion, an architect named Cox in studying the architectural design of the Devon House buildings argued,


“the bath house in relation to the main house strongly suggest those predated the Stiebel house. The brick work of the coach house and external wall to the west of the present court yard, the only wall to be built in English bond which became unfashionable in the 18th century in England, together with the two cook houses, suggest that these might date from the late 18th or early 19th centuries.”


Rev. John Campbell served the St. Andrew Parish Church until his death in 1813, and his son Alexander succeeded him as Rector. Alexander who grew up at the Devon Penn Rectory, also made the premises home for his children. During his 45-year tenure as Rector Alexander lived at the Rectory. There is every indication that like his father, Alexander was devoted to his duties as Rector, and almost to the end of his life he continued to serve his congregation, “The last baptismal register entry signed by him (Alexander) was on Nov 4 1858 and he died on December 8, 1858.”

 
     
 
 
Quick link to Pages- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Top Of Page
 
   
  
 
Copyright © 2005 Devon House Development Company - All Rights Reserved