Story_Of_Devon_House_pg2
 
Page 2

Devon Penn was part of the 600 acres awarded to Zellers. The glebe lands, which fell to Zellers, stretched from the site of the St. Andrew Parish Church, north to Sandy Gully, encompassing Old Church Road and including the grounds of the present Kings House. To the south it bordered Trafalgar Penn, now occupied by the British High Commission. Among the first undertakings by Zellers was the construction of a church on a piece of land, bordered by Upper Waterloo Road and West King’s House Road. Just before his death in 1700, Rev Zellers was fortunate enough to be able to serve the parish from the current site of the St. Andrew Parish Church. Fifty (50) years later the Rectory was built on foundations now occupied by the Devon House Mansion. It is believed that Rev George Eccles who served the parish between 1747-1760, was the first Minister to live in the new rectory. It was at the start of Rev. John Campbell’s tenure in 1782 that the vestry minutes indicate that some extensive repairs were undertaken on the Church Rectory, resulting in several major additions to the structure (additions which some believe to be a part of the architectural history of Devon House),

“A new stable with coach house 40 feet long and 18 wide in the clear…Your committee beg further that to recommend to the vestry the erection of another building of two rooms one above , the other underneath at the back of the present staircase to stand on either arch pillars 20 feet by 16 in the clear.”

     
Quick link to Pages- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
 
 
Top Of Page
 
   
  
 
Copyright © 2005 Devon House Development Company - All Rights Reserved