Story_Of_Devon_House_pg1
 

Page 1

Quick link to Pages
       
         
 
 
One of Jamaica’s most celebrated historical landmarks The Devon House Mansion is the architectural dream of Jamaica’s first black millionaire George Stiebel. Stiebel was among three wealthy Jamaicans who constructed elaborate homes during the late 19th century at the corner of Trafalgar Road and Hope Road, which fittingly became known as the Millionaires Corner. Daniel Finzi and the Verleys were the other families that resided in the area, however, both homes were eventually demolished to make way for development ventures including the construction of Abbey Court Apartments. Stiebel’s legacy lives on with the beautifully maintained Devon House, which was declared a national monument in 1990 by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust.

The Rectors of Devon Penn

Many would be surprised to learn however that the early history of Devon House dates back to the mid seventeenth century when Britain captured Jamaica from Spain. One of the central roles of the British Government was to introduce religion to the people of Jamaica, and Rev. John Zellers was among five Ministers selected for service in the island. On his arrival Rev. Zellers was appointed to serve the parish of St. Andrew. The glebe, as land attached to the Anglican Church was termed, was awarded to Rev. Zellers. In the letter of patent given by Charles 11 on May 1667 Rev Zellers was assigned, " land, meadow, pasture and woodlands..ye same containing 600 acres…together with all edifices, woods, trees, rents, commodities, ways and passages…and all mines and minerals whatsoever in ye premises.”

 
     
 
 
 
 
12 Pages On The Story of Devon House
Top Of Page
 
   
  
 
Copyright © 2005 Devon House Development Company - All Rights Reserved