Devon House Chronology
 
 
1667  
Charles 11 granted the glebe lands, including Devon Penn, to Rev. Mr. John Zellers.
1750
Devon Penn Rectory built
1787
Extensive repairs made to Devon Penn Rectory
1782-1878 
The Campbell families occupied Devon Penn Rectory except for a period of twenty-four years.
1879
‘The lay body of the church’ sold Devon Penn to George Stiebel.
1881
George Stiebel built Devon House.
1896
George Stiebel died. His daughter Theresa Stiebel Jackson owned Devon House.
1922 Theresa Stiebel Jackson died.
1923

Reginald Melhado bought Devon House.

1928
Cecil Lindo bought Devon House for his wife Agnes Irene.
1967

The National Trust bought Devon House. Restoration by Tom Concannon started.

1968
The Hon. Edward Seaga opened the Grog Shoppe.
1973
The Prime Minister, the Hon. Michael Manley made Devon House the National Gallery.

1980

The Prime Minister, the Hon. Edward Seaga had Devon House furnished on the lines of a nineteenth century great house.
1983
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited Devon House.
1990

Devon House is named winner of the American Express Historic Preservation Award

Devon House is declared a national monument by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust

 
 
Top Of Page
 
   
  
 
Copyright © 2005 Devon House Development Company - All Rights Reserved